March 20-21st, welcomes in the Spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the Autumn Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Equinox is when the day and night are of equal lengths. This is due to the tilt of the Earth and happens just twice a year.
Years ago, the Ancients celebrated the Equinox that fell in March as the start of a new year.
In the Northern Hemisphere it was a time of re-birth and renewal and a sign that the cold winter was getting ready to pass.
In the Southern Hemisphere it was a time of harvesting and getting ready to prepare for the long winter ahead.
It is almost like both the hemispheres were collectively acting out the symbolic cycle of death and rebirth on Mother Earth.
You can read about the energetic and spiritual influence of the Equinox here, but this article is going to share some rituals that you can use to tap into this energy in order to help you manifest, release and create.
When the day and night are of equal length, it offers a powerful vibration and harmony between the time of creation (night) and the time of manifestation (day).
This allows the flow between creation and manifestation to be more seamless and more easy flowing.
There are no limits on what you can manifest during an Equinox, but typically for the Spring it is a time for new beginnings and in the Autumn it is a time to harvest, release and let go.
No matter where you live, use your instinct to determine which ritual is most suitable for you. We all live on the same planet, and we all experience both these energies in different ways and strengths.
Ritual for the Spring Equinox
This ritual is perfect for manifestation, protection and a clear creative mind throughout the year.
- around 10 brightly colored flowers
- 1 candle: green, pink, orange, yellow, blue, purple or white
- your favorite crystal
- Pen and paper
- Find a quiet place to perform your ritual where you will not be disturbed. Outside works well for this.
- Holding your crystal, do a brief meditation to help clear your mind and calm your thoughts. Breathe deeply in and out 5 times.
- Write down on your piece of paper what you want to manifest or create.
- Arrange your flowers into a circle leaving one to the side for later.
- Place the candle and the piece of paper inside the circle. Keep holding the crystal.
- Say your manifestation aloud three times, then light the candle.
- Take in the energy of your sacred circle. Perhaps take a few deep breaths or meditate for a while longer.
- When you feel ready, release your intention out into the Universe by picking up your spare flower and throwing it up into the air. As you throw your flower, feel your intention being lifted up into the Universe.
- Leave your candle burning for as long as possible (don’t leave candle unattended).
- If possible, place the flowers into a vase and keep them in your house.
Ritual for the Autumn Equinox
This ritual is perfect for releasing the past, clearing negative beliefs or feelings and getting ready to welcome in the new.
- Assorted Dried or fresh herbs (any will do, you can even use herbal tea)
- Water Bowl
- 1 Candle: white, yellow, green, brown, orange or red
- Your favorite crystal
- Pen and paper
- Find a quiet place to do this ritual where you can’t be disturbed. Light the candle and place it next to your bowl of water.
- Meditate holding your crystal for a few minutes to help clear and release your mind. Take 5 deep breaths in and out.
- Place your herbs into the water. You can get creative here and use herbal teas like chamomile etc. just make sure you empty them out from the tea bag.
- Use your finger and stir the herb water around in a clockwise direction 5 times to generate some energy.
- Take your pen and paper and write down what you want to release in your life.
- State what you want to release out loud 3 times. Fold the paper up and place it into the water.
- Swirl the water around again with your finger either 3, 7 or 9 times. Watch how the paper gets soggier and soggier.
- Take the bowl and hold it up against your hearts center. When you feel ready, state out loud “I release this” and dump the water out. You can dump the water outside, in the sink or in the bath.
- Throw the piece of paper away. Discard the herbs in the garden or outside.
- Keep the candle burning for as long as possible (don’t leave unattended).
Follow your intuition and your own guidance when conducting these rituals, they are designed to be simple so you can adapt them anyway that feels right to you.